Grammar Series 7: Modifiers
Adjectives and adverbs let us add descriptive infor-mation to nouns, pronouns, and verbs to make our sentences more colorful and interesting. But many of us make mistakes when using modifiers. With this informative program, you’ll learn how to use modi-fiers correctly and effectively – even when making comparisons with superlatives!
Before you begin studying, let us make a few recom-mendations. First, have a notebook and pen ready so you’re prepared to take notes. You’ll probably want to use the many on-screen graphics to take notes for yourself – when you’re done, you’ll have a notebook on English grammar that you can refer back to again and again.
Secondly, don’t forget to take advantage of your “pause” button while viewing the program. This will allow you to try to complete the exercises in this study guide before you view the answers on-screen.
Finally, don’t try to absorb too much at one time. By viewing the program over a number of short sessions (instead of all at once), you’ll stay “fresher” and retain more of what you learn. And don’t forget: you can review the entire program, or specific sections, as many times as you need to!
Now you can eliminate embarrassing mistakes from your speaking and writing forever. Let Video Aided Instruction be your guide!
Tính từ và trạng từ giúp chúng ta thêm thông tin mô tả cho danh từ, đại từ, và động từ để làm cho câu của chúng tôi đầy màu sắc và thú vị hơn. Nhưng nhiều người học tiếng anh trong chúng ta phạm sai lầm khi sử dụng bổ ngữ tiếng anh. Với chương trình học ngữ pháp tiếng anh này cung cấp thông tin, bạn sẽ tìm hiểu cách làm thế nào để sử dụng bổ ngữ trong tiếng anh một cách chính xác và hiệu quả, ngay cả khi dùng so sánh nhất!
—– Bài Tập —–
Lesson 1 – Adjectives and Adverbs
Directions: In each of the following sentences, a modifier is underlined. Based on how the modifier is used in the sentence, decide whether the modifier is correct or incorrect. If it is incorrect, decide what modifier would be correct.
- Glancing at himself in the mirror just moments before the job interview, Enrico felt well about his appearance.
- The chef’s hands moved quick as she demonstrated the proper technique for dicing onions.
- Although Jason seems happy about moving to California, he admits that he will miss his friends in Minnesota.
- Because of her extreme nervousness, Soon Lee performed the sonata bad during her audition for the college orchestra.
- The team doctor decided that Mona was well enough to play in Saturday’s championship game.
Lesson 2 – Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers
Directions: In each of the following sentences, there is a modifying phrase or clause. Underline the modifying phrase or clause in each sentence, and decided whether it is misplaced or dangling. If it is, rewrite the sentence to correct the modifier.
- Having lost one of the most controversial elections in history, many expected Al Gore to run for president again in 2004.
- Distracted by the demands of my two children, the chicken in the oven was burned.
- When birds fly in the path of an airplane, they can produce dangerous and costly accidents.
- Hoping to make the space more sunny, Nancy’s bedroom was expanded and fitted with a large skylight.
- Swollen by a week of heavy rain, the grasslands on either side of the Missouri River were eventually flooded.
Lesson 3 – Comparisons Using Modifiers
Directions: In each of the following sentences, a modifier is required. Fill in the blank with the correct com-parative or superlative degree of the modifier whose positive degree appears at the end of the sentence.
- Pablo Picasso and Juan Gris began painting around the same time, but Picasso continued painting __________ than Gris. (long)
- Of all the sopranos in the choir, Lizette sings____________. (well)
- Although Nadja and Katya are both expert programmers, Katya is considered ____________than her colleague. (talented)